AGRICULTURE: Montana is a better place to live when family farms and ranches are thriving.
Helen & Gordy Waller at their farm near Circle.
LANDOWNER RIGHTS: Corporations should not be allowed to run roughshod over landowners
Mark Fix surveys his pastures and calving grounds in the Tongue River Valley near Miles City.
OIL & GAS: Click here to watch our video "Mixing Oil and Water." Air, water and rural communities are casualties of oil and gas development
- Comment against the proposed Millennium coal export terminal in Longview, Wash., by June 13 »
- Tell the Montana congressional delegation to say NO to the destructive Trans-Pacific Partnership trade deal by signing this petition »
- Local Foods = Local Prosperity. Complete our local food hub survey and win prizes! »
Plains Speaking Blog
Last week, I went to Casper, Wyoming, with some other folks from Northern Plains to testify at the scoping hearing for the Programmatic Environmental Impact Statement on the Federal Coal Leasing program. It was the first of six such hearings, but none are in Montana.
I grew up on my family’s ranch in the Bull Mountains north of Billings. The ranch was and is underlain by coal that was owned by the federal government, and by the Northern Pacific Railroad, under the 1864 Northern Pacific Railroad Land Grant Charter, generally in a checkerboard pattern. That coal has subsequently undergone numerous changes in ownership, and due to difficulties in dealing with the company that ended up with the railroad surface and sub-surface, my family no longer owns that ranch.read more »
Northern Plains Resource Council offers a number of publications, including fact sheets, the Plains Truth newsletter, legislative bulletins, special reports and more.read more »
- Press release: Montanans in Spokane to testify on Washington state coal export facility – May 26, 2016 »
- More than 1,000 attend Millennium coal terminal hearing – The (Longview) Daily News – May 25, 2016 »
- Letter: Stop leaking methane gas, capture it – Billings Gazette, May 19, 2016 »
- Letter: Tell Montana delegation to vote no on TPP – Billings Gazette, May 17, 2016 »
- Press release: Group praises first ever nationwide standards for methane pollution – May 12, 2016 »
Check Us Out on Facebook
The Northern Plains Resource Council works to protect Montana's working landscapes, educate on environmental issues and sustainable agriculture, defend our water quality, avert the effects of climate change... Read more >