AGRICULTURE: Montana is a better place to live when family farms and ranches are thriving.
Helen & Gordy Waller at their farm near Circle.
LANDOWNER RIGHTS: Corporations should not be allowed to run roughshod over landowners
Mark Fix surveys his pastures and calving grounds in the Tongue River Valley near Miles City.
COAL: From mining to transporting to burning, coal is dirty energy.
Blasting at the Rosebud Mine in southeastern Montana
OIL & GAS: Click here to watch our video "Mixing Oil and Water." Air, water and rural communities are casualties of oil and gas development
GOOD NEIGHBOR AGREEMENT: Protecting two important watersheds through cooperation between citizens and a major mining company
East Boulder Mine near Big Timber.
Upcoming EventsNo upcoming events
On the afternoon before Thanksgiving, the Tongue River Railroad Company asked the federal Surface Transportation Board to indefinitely freeze its permit application for the proposed Tongue River Railroad. If permitted, the railroad would condemn up to 90 miles of working family farm and ranchland in southeastern Montana to build a new rail line to ship coal from the proposed Otter Creek coal mine to proposed Pacific Northwest coal export facilities and then on to Asia.
Northern Plains Resource Council offers a number of publications, including fact sheets, the Plains Truth newsletter, legislative bulletins, special reports and more.read more »
- Press release: Billings Public Library’s LEED Platinum certification a win for YVCC! – Feb. 5, 2016 »
- Editorial: Time Montana realized coal’s limitations – Bozeman Daily Chronicle, Feb. 4, 2016 »
- Editorial: Coal leasing moratorium is an opportunity – Casper Star-Tribune, Feb. 3, 2016 »
- Prairie Lights: Hoping for the restoration of King Coal – Last Best News, Jan. 24, 2016 »
- Judge in climate suit tells government to re-study coal mine – Associated Press, Jan. 23, 2016 »
Check Us Out on Facebook
The Northern Plains Resource Council works to protect Montana's working landscapes, educate on environmental issues and sustainable agriculture, defend our water quality, avert the effects of climate change... Read more >