Sleeping Giant Citizens Council
Comprised of members living in Lewis and Clark, Broadwater, and Jefferson Counties, Sleeping Giant is working on issues facing their region. Sleeping Giant currently has two active committees.
- Coal Export: The fossil fuel export committee works to educate and organize Helena-area citizens on proposals to export millions of tons of coal from the Powder River Basin to Asia. This would mean a dramatic increase in coal train traffic, resulting in increased health concerns from coal dust and diesel fumes, public safety risks, noise, toxic air pollution, traffic delays, financial costs to taxpayers, and accelerated climate change. Many of these concerns can also be applied to oil by rail.
- Clean Energy: The clean energy committee was formed as a positive response to concerns about coal and oil train traffic. The committee lobbies for less restrictive clean energy legislation, and works with local businesses to exemplify the economic and environmental benefits of clean energy for other communities across the state.
- Local Foods: Sleeping Giant initially began its local foods movement around farm-to-school work. In the past, it has been active in meeting with key decision makers, performing research, and holding events to build support for more healthy, local foods in the area communities and building relationships between growers and consumers.
- Marysville Mine: The Marysville committee worked to elevate the level of awareness on the reopening of the old Drumlummon gold mine in Marysville and working to ensure that impacts from newer mine operations (including the dewatering of the ore body and heavy truck traffic) are mitigated.
List of Recent Accomplishments:
- Held a coal export forum to educate community about proposals to export Powder River Basin coal to Asia
- Worked with the Helena City Commission to send a letter to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers asking to be include Helena in a thorough, area-wide Environmental Impact Statement
- Mobilized citizens and institutions in support of a state legislative proposal that generated $15 million in federal stimulus funds for energy efficiency in Montana schools
- Built support for a ‘farm-to-school’ program to get more healthy, local food into Helena schools
- Organized comments on Drumlummon gold mine
- Sleeping Giant Launches Affiliate in 2008
- Testifying at the Land Board
- City Votes to Send Letter to Army Corps
Sleeping Giant works to create change that promotes healthy communities by advocating for the sustainable use of our water and land resources in Lewis and Clark, Broadwater, and Jefferson Counties. As an affiliate of Northern Plains Resource Council, we are part of a network of vibrant, active community groups that work at the local level to make Montana an even better place to live, work and raise a family.